The Pre-Production Inspection (PPI) is a type of quality control inspection conducted before the production process begins to assess the quantity and quality of the raw materials and components, and whether they are in conformity with product specifications.
A PPI could be beneficial when you work with a new supplier, especially if your project is a large contract that has critical delivery dates. It is also very important in any case where you suspect the supplier has sought to cut his costs by substituting cheaper materials or components prior to production.
This inspection also can reduce or eliminate communication issues regarding production timelines, shipping dates, quality expectations and others, between you and your supplier.
How to conduct a Pre-Production Inspection
The Pre-Production Inspection (PPI) is completed after the identification and the evaluation of your vendor / factory and right before the beginning of the actual mass production. The aim of the Pre-Production Inspection is to make sure your vendor understands your requirements and the specifications of your order and is prepared for its production.
HQTS conducts the following seven steps for pre-production inspection:
- Prior to production, our inspector arrives at the factory.
- Raw materials & accessories check: our inspector checks the raw materials and components required for production.
- Radom selection of samples: materials, components and semi-finished products are randomly selected to ensure the best possible representation.
- Style, color & workmanship check: our inspector thoroughly checks the style, color and quality of raw materials, components and semi-finished products.
- Photos of production line & environment: our inspector takes photos of the production line and environment.
- Sample audit of production line: Our inspector does a simple audit of the production line, including production ability and quality control ability (man, machinery, material, method environment, etc.)
- Inspection report: our inspector issues a report which documents the findings and includes pictures. With this report you obtain a clear picture of whether everything is in place for tour products to be completed according to your requirements.
The Pre-Production Report
When Pre-Production Inspection is finished, the inspector will issue a report which documents the findings and includes pictures. With this report you obtain a clear picture of whether everything is in place for the products to be completed according to your requirements.
The benefits of a Pre-Production Inspection
The Pre-Production Inspection will allow you to have a clear view of the production schedule and can anticipate possible problems that could affect the quality of the products. This inspection service helps to avoid uncertainties on the whole process of production and distinguish defects on the raw materials or components before production starts. HQTS guarantees you to benefit from Pre-Production Inspection from the following aspects:
- Requirements are guaranteed to be met
- Assurance on the quality of the raw materials or components of the product
- Have a clear view on the production process that will happen
- Early identification of problem or risk that might occur
- Fixing production issues early
- Avoidance of additional cost and unproductive time
Process of a pre-production inspection
Download pre-production inspection infographic here.