- Posted by: HQTS
- Category: Uncategorized
Safety protective shoes are essential for workers who may face risk of injury from rolling, penetrating or crushing objects. In the United States, all work environments are subject to regulation by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), mandating the use of safety shoes, ensuring they meet the standards set by American National Standards Institute (ANSI). Shoes adhering to ANSI standards must meet the correct protection, design and performance requirements.
ANSI is a non-profit organisation that promotes voluntary conformity standards. Their standards are consensus-based, developed by ANSI accredited organisations. Developed for consumer products to ensure universal and consistent qualities meet safety definitions.
The American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) is an international standards organisation that develops and publishes voluntary consensus technical standards or certifications. ASTM announced in 2005 that their ANSI standard was withdrawn and replaced by two new ASTM standards, providing performance requirements for safety shoes.
These two new ASTEM standards are:
- ASTM F2412-18a Standard Test Methods for Foot Protection
- ASTM F 2413-18 Standard Specification for Performance Requirements for Protective (Safety) Toe Cap Footwear
These standards cover the following aspects of safety shoes:
- Performance requirements: physical performance specifications
- Testing standards: all safety shoes must undergo testing in an independent laboratory to ensure they meet relevant requirements
- Standard labelling: all safety shoes must be labelled correctly according to standard format.
Major testing items for safety shoes as regulated by OSHA standards:
- Conduction Rating (Cr)
- Electrical Hazard (EH)
- Puncture/Penetration Resistant (PR)
- Static Dissipative (SD)
HQTS offers expert guidance in conforming to industry, regulatory and a customer’s exacting standards, as well as compliance with USA, European and international directives, standards and testing requirements. We test in accordance with AATCC, ASTM, REACH, ISO, SATRA, GB, and other related standards. Because reliable, safe, high quality footwear has a significant impact on customer satisfaction and brand success. Working with HQTS can help you avoid the issues that put your business or workers at risk.