On 14 August 2008, President George W. Bush signed landmark legislation: the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) of 2008. The Act has stated rules that define lead limits and phthalates specifically for juvenile products and requires that testing for certain juvenile products be completed and documented by accredited Third Party Testing Labs before these products may be imported to the USA.
On October 18, 2017, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) issued a final rule prohibiting children’s toys and child care articles containing more than 0.1 percent of certain phthalate chemicals.
The details are as follows:
Our lab has been accredited by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) to test toys and children’s products based on CPSC regulations as follows:
- Lead Paint: 16 CFR Part 1303
- Pacifiers: 16 CFR Part 1511
- Small Parts Rule: 16 CFR Part 1501
- Textile flammability test: 16 CFR Part 1610
- Rattle-drum: 16 CFR Part 1510
- Lead in Children’s Metal Jewelry: CPSC-CH-E1001-08
- Lead in Children’s Metal Products: CPSC-CH-E1001-08
- Lead in Children’s Non-Metal Products: CPSC-CH-E1002-08
- ASTM F963-17
Issues and resolutions
- Lead limit
- Phthalate limit
- Mandatory toy safety standard ASTM F963
- Third party testing requirement
- Tracking labels for children’s products
- GCC (General Conformity Certification)
The Pre-Production Inspection (PPI) is a type of quality control inspection conducted before the production process begins to assess the quantity and quality of the raw materials and components, and whether they are in conformity with product specifications.
During Production Inspection (DPI) or otherwise known as DUPRO, is a quality control inspection conducted while production is underway, and is especially good for products that are in continuous production.
The Pre-Shipment Inspection (PSI) is one of many types of quality control inspections conducted by HQTS. It is an important step in the quality control process and is the method for checking the quality of goods before they are shipped.